"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass,

It's about learning how to dance in the rain."


Vivien Greene


Thursday, July 14, 2011

Ambulance Ride #2

The weekend was great and Monday started out pretty good also.  Although my counts were still low, I felt really good.  Made a "Welcome Home" sign for Alexis and family with Cody and Raymond and then went and laid in the pool at Papa & Nana's.  Went home and took a nap while my mom took Maddie and Timmy to see Mr. Popper's Penguins (it was really good).  And then it was all over.  I woke up to a 101.8 temp.  That meant immediate trip to the ER for some fluids, antibiotics and a trip to UCSF by ambulance.  Valley Care did pull a blood sample to test for bacterial culture.  The last time this happened the cultures were all negative and after a couple days of antibiotics at UCSF I went home.  However, this time the cultures came back positive and I officially had a blood infection.  Since Monday, I have been on heavy doses of 3 different antibiotics and lots of fluids.  This has been much more difficult than just getting chemo.  You truly begin to appreciate all the protection your body naturally has for infection and different bacterias.  My temperature, blood pressure, heart rate, and respitory breathing goes up and down.  I am on constant watch by the nurses and the doctors.  Their true spirit really shows during these challanging times.  Today has been better.  My temperature has stabilized.  I received 2 units of blood and 1 of platletts, so by tomorrow I should be much better... updates to come later in the week.

If you are looking for a way to give back,  GIVE BLOOD, at your local Red Cross.  I have received about 12 units/pints of blood.  A single person would have to donate for 2 years for that much blood as you can only donate every 8 weeks.


BTW - The port once again did not cooperate either at the ER or at UCSF.  It took 2 nurses and 4 tries on Tuesday for it to finally work...  And forget the ER, never again will they be trying to access it.  It doesn't hurt, but the more poking and trying they do, the more bruised it becomes and then it hurts.

No comments: