"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass,

It's about learning how to dance in the rain."


Vivien Greene


Thursday, July 28, 2011

Nurse Kaitlin at home and then on to Round #6

The anitbiotics did their thing and I was able to go home on Tuesday, July 19th.  However, I did need to take antibiotics at home for the next 3 days.  Because I had a blood infection, the antibiotics had to be thru my port and not in pill form.  The hospital arranged for "home care" (did not even know this existed) and a big box of supplies was delivered that day.  A nurse came by after I was home to set me up and train us on changing out bags of liquid antibiotics for the next 3 days.  This entailed me having a "fanny pack" on me continuously.  Glad it was only 3 days.  All went well and nurse came back Saturday morning to remove my port needle.  Freedom felt good...  But I did love playing Nurse (and no I don't want to be one).




My sister Maddie had a softball tournament in Lake Tahoe over the weekend, so my dad took her and Timmy up for a long weekend.  Papa and Nana rented a house for the week and the cousins (with parents) spent lots of time hanging out together.  They also got to see cousin Chris, Aiden, and Audrey...  lot's of fun...  we will all have to do this again next year.  But it did mean a quiet house, so I was able to get lots of rest and my blood counts climbed back up.

Blood counts in check meant I could go on to Round #6.  This officially begins the Maintenance phase of my treatment plan.  My PET scan and bone marrow tests, from last week, came back all cancer free!  Only 4 Rounds to go and they should be somewhat lighter.  However, because chemo has now built up in my body, it is taking longer to recover.

Lastly ~ Happy Birthday to my mom, Debbie (Alexis' mom) and Teresa (Cody's mom)!

More pictures to come....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kaitlin! I'm so happy to see you home after this latest adventure! Sophia made a drawing to "feel you better", so I will be sure to pop that in the mail this week. Thank you for being so good about the updates! I love your blog!

Take care,
Emily

Anonymous said...

I am so glad you are home and the news is so good. I continue to be impressed with your positive attitude. You are one amazing young lady and an inspiration to us. Love you, Amelia.