"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass,

It's about learning how to dance in the rain."


Vivien Greene


Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Bald, not so bad...

Let me explain...  going bald is not a bad thing when it comes to cancer

Part of the chemo treatment is to kill all fast growing cells, good (hair) or bad (cancer).  So the fact that the hair is falling out, means the medicine is killing cells.  My back pain is gone as is the lump in my throat so we know the medicine is killing the bad cancer cells as well.

My uncle Bobby, gave me my buzz cut on Saturday before I came in.  I think he, Cody and my cousins had a little too much fun with it (pix me in a mohawk).  It is amazing how much hair one head can have.  When it was falling out, it was everywhere.  Almost like dog hair, but mulitplied by 10. Much easier not having to deal with that.  Have a few new beanies, pictures to come..

I didn't have a choice to be bald, but my doctor did and chose to be a hero... 
Before Photo
Dr. Kate Matthay has chosen to have her head completely shaven as a fundraiser for childhood cancer research.  She is working with the St. Baldrick's Foundation for the big event on June 8th.  If you are looking for a good cause to donate to, this might be it (just click the link above). If I am home and feeling ok, I will be attending this event and cheering her on. If anyone would like to join me, let me know.  It will be held at The Kezar Pub near the hospital in SF.



 The St. Baldrick's Foundation is a volunteer-driven charity committed to funding the most promising research to find cures for childhood cancers and give survivors long and healthy lives.  They have generously supported clinical and laboratory research at UCSF and many other children’s cancer centers around the country. In 2010 alone, they gave over $14 million in grants for childhood cancer research.  And all because people chose to be bald!

Is there a real St. Baldrick?
To our knowledge, there's no real St. Baldrick. The name "St. Baldrick's" is a combination of the words "bald" and "St. Patrick's," since the first event was held in 2000 on March 17, which is St. Patrick's Day.

4 comments:

Ginger said...

So happy to see your positive attitude shining through, Kaitlin!

Ginger Sire

Anonymous said...

Kaitlin I am just in awe as I sit here reading your blog. You're such a bright light and we love you so much. Your doctor clearly is in the right profession. You GO GIRL!

Cindy Baltazar said...

Dear Kaitlin,
You don't know me but I am Theresa's cousin and I knew Cody when he was little. I recently caught up with Theresa on facebook and when she told me about your story I have been following it and just want you to know that you are in my prayers. Continue to stay strong, which it sounds like you are! You are a trooper! Take care and God Bless, Cindy Baltazar
P.S. Hope this reaches you for I am having a hard time figuring this out?? =)

soy sauceeee! said...

Hi I am one of Grace's friends from school. I have heard about your illness. I am very sorry and hope you feel better:) I will be at Rockin' Jump tomorrow for you!