"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass,

It's about learning how to dance in the rain."


Vivien Greene


Friday, May 27, 2011

My First Ambulance Ride...

My 10 day stay at home was cut short by a fever on Wednesday.  That afternoon, my temp reached 101 for 2 readings.  Once it is at 101, there is no waiting.  I must be taken to Valley Care Emergency where my UCSF dr. is contacted and gives VC instructions on which antibiotic to get me started on.  This too took 3 nurses to get an IV going after the port attempts failed.  More later on this...
USCF then arranges for an ambulance to transport me to SF... first ride ever in an ambulance. 

My stay at UCSF has been uneventful except for the "port" issues.  My fever went down almost immediately, probably with a little help from the antibiotics I am getting.  My blood counts are really low and need to come back up before I will be allowed to go home.  Waiting on blood results as I write....  but otherwise am feeling good and continue to have an appetite.  Swallowing has been a little difficult as my throat has sores (due to the low blood counts).  But I can feel them too getting a little better, which is a sign that my blood counts are improving.

As for my port (underskin IV), it is not working like it is supposed to.  During my last visit, the nurses were eventually able to get both sides working after some drug help which may have dissolved any little clots.  This time, only one side has worked and that too required extra drug help.  The other side is not working at all.
Later today, I will be having a dye xray test to see if it highlights any issues.  The xray techs will put dye into the port and then take xrays.  This should help see if the line is bent, not long enough, etc.  Or it may not show anything.  Either way, I may need to have it replaced next week.  In the meantime, it just means I need to have an IV in my arm, which I do not like getting as my veins are difficult to access.




2 comments:

jkself said...

I saw the Pleasanton Weekly article on you as a link one of my friends had posted on facebook. I got your blog address and just wanted to write you a note to let you know I am thinking of you,and praying for you and your family! I hope with each day you are getting stronger and feeling better!!!
Nurse Jenn

jcmachado01 said...

Kaitlin,
It was so good to see you today! The girls were happy that they were able to visit (I had to promise that I would mail you the card that they made for you...Emily says she is SURE you are going to LOVE it...LOL. Hope you all had a good evening :) Tell your mom and dad that I'm sorry I missed them. Maybe we'll see each other again soon.
Take Care,
Joelle