"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass,

It's about learning how to dance in the rain."


Vivien Greene


Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Day 5 - Coco before Chanel

My mom tells me when you're pregnant, your time turns into weeks.  Well, with cancer your time turns into days.  The chemo protocol that I am on is specific by day in 6 day increments.  Today is day 5 of this second round.  It was pretty uneventful except for the nurse coming in at 4am to change all my IV lines for the last 3 days.  She removed about 20 and replaced them with 3.  My "friend" (IV pole) is now much lighter.  Neither me nor my mom went back to sleep so instead we watched the movie, Coco before Chanel in French with English subtitles, which we both liked and the 4 years of French are paying off as I could understand most of the movie.  I did get a 3 hour nap in this afternoon.

I feel really good and my blood counts continue to be high.  Food is still tasty and I have minimal side effects from the chemo. Tomorrow will be my 3rd spinal tap of this round and then a break for a week (except for some steroid and antibiotic pills).

fyi - The spinal taps put chemo into my spine so that the cancer does not go to my brain and it also removes spinal fluid to be tested.  Never knew spinal fluid was clear like water.  This sounds much worse that it is as long as they get the numbing cream in the right spot, which is now sharpied on my back.

1 comment:

Matthew McNelley said...

"My "friend" (IV pole) is now much lighter." Good one! I had a spinal tap once. You're right, it wasn't that bad. Mine went to 11. Ask your dad what that means.