"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass,

It's about learning how to dance in the rain."


Vivien Greene


Monday, May 2, 2011

Round 1 "Induction" phase has begun

On Thursday 4/29, my more intense round of chemo began.  It is still considered round 1, as the "first" round was only a "mini" round to ensure my body could tolerate the meds.  Not only did I tolerate them, but my cancer decreased 20%-30% and I had minimal side effects.

As of last Friday, my primary Dr. believes that the lump in my throat is almost all gone.  Lots of learning thru this process.  The expectation is that most of my cancer will be gone after the first couple rounds of chemo.  The rest of the months is for maitenance and to ensure it is really all gone.  The back pain I had been experiencing was also gone after a couple days of chemo.  Truly amazing!!

So this too is a 6 day round of chemo, with various types of meds.  Some are by pill, some by IV, and the last 3 by a spinal tap (which sounds worse that it really is).  Believe it or not, the pills are getting to be the hardest as there are 5 little ones that are not coated and end up melting somewhat in my mouth and taste awful.

One of the meds was liquid, but after almost gagging last night, they are switching it to a pill today. YEAH!

No comments: