"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass,

It's about learning how to dance in the rain."


Vivien Greene


Monday, May 2, 2011

Living in Luxury

As bad as "being in the hospital fighting cancer" may sound, I am actually enjoying my stay.  After 3 room moves, I was given the suite.  It is a nice big room that looks more like a hotel room than a hospital room.  The wood floors, nice cabinets, and wall murals of the beach make it very comforting.  In addition, the many posters, cards, gifts add to the decor and bring home here.  The only big no-no is flowers and plants because of the bacteria or fungus they may have.  Each room has a WII and DVD player.  There is a dvd library here that I can call up and have movies delivered as desired.  I am not on any food restrictions and in fact need to eat as much as I can.  Therefore, I have had the opportunity to order great pizza from a local restaurant, Pasquale's, and chinese food that was delivered to my room.  Also, love to have my Jamba Juice's (Strawberries Wild), which is across the street.  I do order the hospital food and really like it.  Best thing is I can order it whenever I like.  Bad thing is it takes 30-40 mins to arrive.

The docs, nurses, and other staff are all awesome.  Being a "teaching" hospital, I feel like a patient on Grey's Anatomy.  The drs do their rounds in the morning and about 5 of them come into my room and stand around my bed discussing how it's going and next steps.  I am being treated by Dr. Katherine Matthay, the chief child oncologist (cancer dr) at UCSF.  I then have a couple of attendies, 3 residences, and some interns.  I have had one of the residences come watch some movies with me as do the nurses many evenings.  I am allowed to leave my room for a walk and can go down a floor to an outdoor garden.

My closest circle of friends and my family visit regularily and are the best medicine I could be receiving.  Some are even learning the BART/MUNI route, which I personally don't like, but am glad they have courage to do it for me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kaitlin,

Your blog is very inspiring to me and I'm sure to others as well. We are grateful to know you are doing as well as you are right now. Please know the Castaneda family is sending our prayers and thoughts your way and we are looking forward to your full recovery soon.

btw ... I agree that Pasquale's is, indeed, great pizza. You should also get someone to pick up a pizza from Villa Romana across the street from Pasquale's. I recommend the linguica (with mushrooms).

Take care,

Coach Carlos.

Anonymous said...

Hi Kaitlin,

I read you blog and want you to know that I am thinking about you and praying for all of the Gallagher family as you undergo your treatments. Keep up your great spirit!

Love, Ceil Johnson (Tom and my husband, Bob, were the best of friends growing up.)